Legion Of Mary at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral
History / Structure
The Legion of Mary was founded by Frank Duff on September 7th, 1921 in Dublin, Ireland. His idea was to help Catholic laypeople fulfill their baptismal promises and be able to live their dedication to the Church in an organised structure, supported by fraternity and prayer.
The organization of the Legion is modeled on the Roman Army, hence the use of Latin name Legio Mariae.
In the Bahamas, it started at St. Francis Cathedral in the late 1940s by Father Brendan Forsythe.
It is an association of practicing Catholics, who with the sanction of the Church and under the powerful leadership of Mary Immaculate, Mediatrix of all Graces, offer service in the warfare which is perpectually waged by the Church against Satan, his legionaries, the word and its evil powers.
The Basic Unit is called a Praesidium.
Each Praesidium takes a Name of Our Lady. At St. Francis Xavier Parish we have Our Lady of Grace Praesidium. There are six other praesidium in New Providence and one Praesidium is in Grand Bahamas.
Types of Membership
|There are two types of membership:
||Attend weekly meetings and carry out weekly assignments, visits to the sick, elderly and shut-ins as well as other work assignments requested by the Pastor.
||Pray the prayers of the Tessera daily. This includes a prayer to the Holy Spirit, the Rosary, the Magnificent and concluding prayers.
We usually have weekly meetings that take place on Wednesdays at St. Francis Old Cathedral at 5:30 p.m. and include Prayers, Rosary, Report on Visits and Assignments undertaken.